Chiropractic Care Topics to Avoid


What do you do to stop your throbbing headaches? Do you know what causes your headaches? Are you able to prevent the onset of your headaches? These are common questions among other headache sufferers. Before you open the medicine bottle, try learning more about the benefits of chiropractic care. In 2011, the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics (JMPT) found that chiropractic care, including spinal manipulation, improves migraine, and cervicogenic headaches. 

What causes your headaches?

There are many “triggers” such as food, environmental stimuli, and/or behaviors that can activate your headaches. Environmental stimuli can include lights, noises, stress, toxins, etc. One’s behaviors such as insomnia, excessive exercising, blood sugar changes, dieting, etc. can be the primary concern of the headaches.

Unfortunately, the American lifestyle has become extremely sedentary where you are spending extended hours in front of the TV or a computer. The inactivity can increase muscle tension and joint restriction triggering a headache. About 95% of headaches are tension, migraine, or cluster headaches while the other 5% are due to the warning signals from a physical issue. 

How can you help prevent your headaches?

According to the American Chiropractic Association (ACA), headaches can be prevented if you avoid be being in one position for hours such as in reading a book, in front of a computer, or while sewing on a machine. To prevent headaches, break up the routine and stretch your head and neck in a comfortable range of motion every 30 minutes to an hour.

Primary headaches can be reduced when performing low-impact exercise such as aerobics and walking. Avoid heavy exercises if you are susceptible to dull and throbbing headaches. Remember, to drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of filtered water a day. Many times dehydration triggers the onset of a headache. If you clench your teeth, this can be the cause of stress on your temporomandibular joints (TMJ). When the joint becomes irritated you can form tension headaches. 

How can a Doctor of Chiropractic help your headaches?

To reduce stress and improve spinal function, the doctor will perform a spinal manipulation or a chiropractic adjustment. With their extensive training they are also able to provide nutritional and dietary advice. To continue with the multi-disciplinary approach, they will also suggest how to improve your posture, ergonomics, relaxation techniques, and exercises. All these approaches alleviate pain within the joint and provide relief from the tense muscles of the neck and/or upper back. 

Did you find this helpful?
You may also like