90 Second Strategies to Relieve Stress
Stress is something we all encounter from time to time. No matter how hard we try to avoid it, stress always finds us. Stressful situations can strike at a moment’s notice and when we least expect it:
- You have to give an important presentation in 5 minutes.
- You’re on your way to a job interview and get caught at a railroad crossing.
- Your luggage gets lost at the airport.
- Your baby is up crying all night.
These and many other scenarios can cause a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety. Knowing how to handle stressful situations before they arise is key. While there are many ways to relieve stress, meditation is a powerful tool that can calm us down in just a few short minutes.
When faced with similar situations as those described above, try these tips:
- Give yourself a pep talk. When faced with situations that test your patience, simply whisper the words “patience” or “kindness” or in your head several times. This will cause you to focus on these words and react accordingly.
- Smile and breathe. When stress hits you like a ton of bricks, take a few deep breaths and smile. Deep breathing can slow the heart rate and decrease anxiety. The mere act of smiling can boost a person’s mood and make them feel good.
- As you breathe, visualize that energy radiating to the space between your eyebrows
- Gradually move the energy throughout your body
- Focus that positive energy to the point two inches above your navel (your energy center.)
- Close your eyes and contemplate. Next time you’re faced with a stressful situation, close your eyes and imagine your navel as a black dot. Imagine the color draining away from the dot as if going down a drain, then refill the dot with your favorite color. By the time it fades away and refills, feel the calmness and peace overcome you.
Stress has been linked to many ailments such as headaches, colds, insomnia lack of appetite and others. Learning how to effectively deal with stress is key in maintaining good health.
Next time you’re stressed, try these tips. Your body will thank you.