Non-Smoking Forms of Medical Marijuana
Cannabis is a flowering plant whose leaves and flowers are used in a variety of methods. Once they are fully grown, the flowers and leaves are covered with tiny glands of resinous oil called trichomes that contain cannabinoids and terpenes, which are the active ingredients that provide marijuana with psychoactive and physical effects.
Methods for Taking Marijuana
1. Kief- a powder that is made from removing the flowers and leaves of the cannabis plant and compressing them into a fine powder for consumption
2. Hashish- a collection of resin glands that contain trichomes in a paste-like substance with varying degrees of firmness
Types of Marijuana
There are over 100 different types of cannabinoids and terpenes. The most common are called THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), which contains the highest concentration of cannabinoids. Although THC provides various therapeutic and psychoactive benefits, other types of cannabinoids that are non-psychoactive cannabinoids also have therapeutic effects on pain.
- Cannabinol (CBN) decrease intraocular pressure, controls seizures, and is mildly psychoactive
- Cannabidiol (CBD) is used to treat inflammation, convulsions, nausea and anxiety
- Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) may help relieve metabolic disorders such as type two diabetes
- Cannabigerol (CBG) has antimicrobial and sedative properties as well as reducing intraocular pressure
- Cannabichromene (CBC) has calming and pain relieving effects
Although cannabis is considered to be a single species plant known as Cannabis Sativa, it has three different categories: Indica, Sativa, and Ruderalis. It can also be classified as a hybrid or a cross between Sativa and Indica strains. In the United States, the dried flower or bud is manicured from a mature female plant and smoked; however, in other parts of the world, concentrates and extracts of the cannabis plant are used. There are many different methods that can be used to separate the trichomes from the plant, including dry sifting, finger hashing, and bubble hashing.