The Top 10 Tips to Achieve Weight Loss
When it comes to exercise and fitness, one of the biggest motivations is to lose weight, and with good reason. According to the World Health Organization:1
- Worldwide obesity rates have doubled since 1980.
- 41 million children under age 5 were overweight or obese in 2014.
- In 2014, more than 1.9 billion adults ages 18 over were overweight, with 600 million considered obese.
As obesity rates increase, many people are making a conscious effort to lose weight and lead healthier lives. Losing weight and getting in shape can be quite challenging, with many will give up before they lose the weight they desire. It may be difficult, but it’s not impossible. With that said, here are the top 10 ways to achieve your weight loss goals:
- Set a goal. Having set goals are the blueprint to success. How much do you want to lose? When would you like to lose it by? Having tangible goals and writing them down allows you to focus and create a plan of action to make it happen.
- Be realistic. Having goals are key, but they must be realistic. The average person loses approximately two pounds per week, not ten. Don’t get discouraged if you’re not losing weight as quickly as you’d like. Weight gain doesn’t happen overnight and neither does weight loss. Patience is key.
- Focus on the long term. Losing weight and fitness is a lifestyle. This isn’t something to do for a couple weeks then revert back to your old ways.
- Change your diet. Avoiding sugar, high fat meats and processed foods is critical to a successful weight loss program.
The following foods should be avoided:
- Processed foods
- Fast food
- Sugary snacks
- Fried foods
- Baked foods
Eat the following foods on a daily basis:
- Fatty fish
- Get moving. Lack of activity is a large factor in the weight gain pandemic. Many people are living sedentary lifestyles, where they sit at work all day behind a desk. The following tips can help a person burn a few extra calories throughout the day:
- Park further away from building entrances
- Take the stairs instead if the elevator
- Take a 5-10 minute walk on your breaks
- Use the restroom on a another floor (take the stairs)
- During television commercial breaks do 25 jumping jacks, 25 sit-ups and 10 pushups
The following household chores are great ways to burn calories based on a weight of 150 pounds:
- Washing dishes
- Carrying groceries upstairs
- Making the bed
- Grocery shopping
- Getting the mail
Many of these household chores don’t burn a lot of calories by themselves, but they can add up if done throughout the course of an average day.
- Have an accountability partner or personal trainer. Having a workout partner or personal trainer can keep a person motivated and push them to keep going when they want to quit.
- Post a training blog online. Posting a training blog with weekly updates is a great way to garner support, encouragement, and fitness tips from others.
- Take the “work” out of working out. Find exercises you enjoy. Don’t do something just because it’s popular. By doing an activity you enjoy, you increase the probability that you will continue to do it. Walking, rollerblading, basketball, jogging and hiking are all fun exercises that burn a lot calories.
- Avoid fad diets and fitness gimmicks. Products that guarantee weight loss and quick results are not designed to help you lose weight, they are designed to make money. There’s a big difference between the two, so avoid them at all costs.
- Sign up for a fitness event. Sign up for a 5k, triathlon or obstacle race. Training for a specific race will help to shed unwanted pounds and increase fitness levels at the same time.
- Enjoy the journey. Embrace the struggles as you embark on your weight loss journey. Once your weight loss goal has been reached, the hard work and sacrifice it took to get there will be that much sweeter and rewarding.
Losing weight is difficult, but it’s not impossible. Follow these tips and don’t give up when times get tough. Your body will thank you.