Treating Your Lyme Disease
Lyme disease is a bacterial infection caused by one of four bacterial species. The disease is most commonly transmitted through the bite of the black-legged tick, or deer tick. People who live in or frequently visit woody areas or areas where grass is tall are at the highest risk of contracting Lyme disease due to a high likelihood of tick bites.
Antibiotics are the most common treatment for Lyme disease. They are generally quite effective. However, the sooner that treatment begins the better. Lyme disease is much easier to treat, in the earlier phases.
These are the first line of defense against Lyme disease once it has been contracted. A course of oral antibiotics are often prescribed at the first onset of symptoms, even without a definitive diagnosis, due to how well they do their job when prescribed early.
Amoxicillin is frequently used, as well as cefuroxime, in small children and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Doxycycline is often prescribed for adults and children over 8 years of age. Individuals should take the entire course of antibiotics as prescribed, which could take anywhere from 10 to 21 days.
If Lyme disease has begun to affect the central nervous system, intravenous (IV) antibiotics will likely be prescribed. A course of intravenous antibiotics for Lyme disease may last from two to four weeks. This treatment is significantly harder on the individual, causing unpleasant side effects that may lower the individual’s ability to function in their everyday life. Individuals on IV antibiotic are at a higher risk of other infections and may deal with digestive issues like diarrhea.
This is a remedy sometimes prescribed by homeopaths or other alternative medicine practitioners who deem it effective. However, it’s not an FDA approved treatment. This is because it contains high levels of the metal bismuth, which can lead to poisoning. Bismuth toxicity can cause heart and kidney damage.