Try These Tips to Treat Your Migraine Headache Pain
Migraine Headache Treatments
When in need of fast relief from a headache or migraine, there are a number of readily available treatments that can be utilize.
Medications are the most common with over-the-counter options such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin being quite effective.
For persistent migraine headaches, prescription medication that is much stronger than over-the-counter options may be the next step. There are four common prescription medications that are used to treat migraine headaches:
- Barbiturate which may be combined with a pain reliever and caffeine
- An effective narcotic nasal spray
- Opioid pain medication used for migraines
Naturally Coping with Migraines
- Avoid common food and drink choices that trigger headaches such as processed foods and alcohol.
- Simply closing an individual's eyes and resting is an effective way to treat headaches and migraines.
- Massage can improve blood flow and alleviate tension, which may dull the headache.
- Placing a heating pad around the neck may help to alleviate headache tension.
- Try mindfulness training or meditation to make a headache pain go away.
- If stress is the cause of a headache, it may be necessary to try to make active changes. The easiest of which is walking away from the source of stress during a headache.
Top 5 Migraine Hacks
- Stay well hydrated throughout the entire day.
- Don’t skip on sleep – Try to get 7 to 9 hours each night.
- Give the eyes a break from electronic devices. For every hour of use, look away for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Try using essential oils such as eucalyptus and spearmint.
- Place an ice pack on the temples and the back of the neck.