Living with Chronic Pain

Regulated Health Professionals in Canada


What is a regulated health professional in Canada?

Health professions in Canada are governed by regulatory colleges. These colleges were created by legislation, such as the Health Professions Act (HPA), in each distinctive province and territory. Professionals are regulated by their specific “college,” for example, College of Physician and Surgeons or College of Nurse.

Benefits of regulatory colleges

Colleges regulate the health profession with codes of ethics and set scopes of practice. They enforce rules for their members that provide transparency and fairness. These colleges also manage public complaints of unmet care or poor ethical standards.

Regulatory colleges hold health professionals to a standard of behaviour and service that best benefits the public interest. The colleges also allow for disciplinary action to be taken if necessary. The HPA ensures that health services are received from health care professionals safely, professionally and ethically.

Included professions

Health professions that are managed by regulatory colleges vary per province or territory. These professions may include the following:

  • Acupuncturists
  • Audiologists
  • Chiropodists
  • Chiropractors
  • Combined Laboratory and X-ray Technologists
  • Dental Hygienists
  • Dental Technologists
  • Dentists
  • Denturists
  • Dietitians
  • Hearing Aid Practitioners
  • Homeopaths
  • Kinesiologists
  • Massage Therapists
  • Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists
  • Medical Laboratory Technologists
  • Medical Radiation Technologists
  • Midwives
  • Naturopaths
  • Nurses
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Opticians
  • Optometrists
  • Paramedics
  • Pharmacists
  • Pharmacy Technicians
  • Physicians, Surgeons and Osteopaths
  • Physician Assistants
  • Physiotherapists
  • Psychologists
  • Podiatrists
  • Registered Psychotherapists
  • Registered Mental Health Therapists
  • Respiratory Therapists
  • Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners
  • Social Workers
  • Speech-Language Pathologists
Did you find this helpful?
You may also like